Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Be a man

Last I wrote I was just beginning my Ironman training. A number of weeks later, I am happy to say that I am absolutely loving my training. It is tough. It is hard. It is demanding. Yet, it is a lot of fun. I have been geeking out as I am learning a lot about new physical activities and all that goes along with them. 
Without a doubt, swimming has been the hardest discipline for me so far. When I jumped into the pool to start my training, it had been a solid eight years since I last did a lap in the pool. My tag phrase was, "I don't know how to swim, I know how to not drown." While I am still not an expert, I am getting better and seeing progress. Just yesterday I reached what I consider a milestone in my swimming. For the first time during a swim workout, I found my mind starting to wander and think about things that had nothing to do with swimming. At times when I run I get so comfortable that a few miles will go by and I will have to remind myself, "You're running right now!" My mind just goes off in different directions. I reached that point yesterday while swimming! Now, not every swim has been like that, in fact, most days when I see swimming on my training calendar, I wince and complain until the workout is over. Slowly but surely, I am getting better and growing in confidence. 
Last thought for today: With every training regimen I go through, there always seems to be one song that I hear over and over again while training - or one phrase that keeps popping up in my head. A few weeks ago while running the song "I'll make a man out of you" from the movie, Mulan, started playing. It was perfect. It initially caught my attention due to a line about knowing how to swim (see below) but the play off of words in "I'll make a man out of you" and the fact that I am training for an Ironman... seemed to flow beautifully. So, I am trying to make an Ironman out of myself. 
Lyrics that always make me smile when I think about my swimming:
I'm never gonna catch my breath
Say goodbye to those who knew me
Boy, was I a fool in school for cutting gym
This guy's got 'em scared to death
Hope he doesn't see right through me
Now I really wish that I knew how to swim

1 comment:

Martin T said...

Maybe I have a better understanding of what you feel, I hate or fear of all kinds of running.